/ɪə/ for dear
- This sound in the words: dear, deer, beer, idea, here and
- The transcriptions of the words above are: /dɪə/ /dɪə/ /bɪə/ /ɪdɪə/ /hɪə/ /hɪə/
/əʊ/ for know
- In English words the sound is in: no, know, show, snow, hello.
- The transcriptions of the words above are: /nəʊ/ /nəʊ/ /ʃəʊ/ /snəʊ/ /heləʊ/
- This is a long vowel sound. In British English it mustn’t sound as if it had a final ‘r’ after the vowel sound, where in Standard American this ‘r’ would be sounded.
- Examples for this sound are in the words: car, calm, father , heart.
- The transcription of these words: / kɑː/ / kɑːm/ /ˈfɑːðə/ /hɑːt/
GAWD WHAT A SICKY COMBINATION COLOURS I CHOSE!!!!! Ha, ha, ha!!!!
If you are still there, (I mean, not in the bathroom feeling pretty sick) click on the audio file