/k/ for cat
- Regularly spelt with c, cc, q, or k .
- Sometimes k is in the spelling of the word but it is not pronounced like in know or knife.
- Some words with this sound are: cat, cake, consequence
The transcription of these words are: /kæt/ /keik/ /’kɒnsəkwəns/
/g/ for game
- Regularly spelt with g,gg, gh and gu.
- Some words with this sound are: go, egg, ghost and guitar.
- The transcription of these words are: /ɡəʊ/ /eɡ/ /ɡəʊst/ /ɡɪ’tɑː /
- Some words contain a g in the spelling that does not sound: sign, high, reign and light. Notice that these words are spelt with a -gn- or a gh.The phonetic transcription is: /saɪn/ /haɪ/ /laɪt/ /raɪn/.
- Some other words contain a g in the spelling that sounds as a /dʒ/ (we will see this sound in following lessons). This happens with words that have a d in front of a g like in hedge and sledge or a g followed by an -e as in cage.
Try to pay attention to the difference in sound of these pairs of words.
cap – gap clue-glue back-bag duck-dug crate-great