Advise /əd’vaɪz / (verb) Notice that these two words have a different pronunciation
Meaning to tell somebody what you think they should or shouldn’t do in a particular situation. Here are some patterns for this verb.
- Advise somebody: His brother couldn’t advise him because he was far too busy.
- Advise something: The government has advised extreme caution.
- Advise somebody to do something: I would advise you to check this essay before handing it in.
- advise that: They advised that a bottle of water should always be carried with visitors.
- advise doing something: I’d advise booking your table in advance.
Advice / əd’vais / (uncountable noun)
Meaning the information that is given on a particular issue.
- Advice on health care.
- Ask your teacher for advice/ask your teacher’s advice.
- Take my advice. Let me give you a piece of advice/some advice.