Which option should we use? Here are a couple of tips. After, click on the activity button for some practice.
Go + place
- for when we go to a specific place to do it. For example: We go to the gym.
Go + -ing (activity noun)
- Go + activity usually before words that end in -ing and especially if we have to go somewhere to do this activity. Here’s an example:
‘Where do you usually go on Saturdays?’ On Saturdays I go dancing (here the person goes somewhere to do this).
Do + noun
- Recreational activities that are not in teams and not played on a board. For example: Do aerobics or or do sport (we can also say play sport).
Play + noun
- Play + noun not ending in -ing. When it refers to a team game (football, basketball, etc), or a board game (chess, ludo, etc).
Play + the name of instrument
- Play + the+ name of an instrument.
I play the piano. What instrument do you play?