Despite water covering 71% of the planet’s surface, more than half the world’s population endures extreme water scarcity for at least one month a year. Current estimates predict that by 2040, up to 20 more countries could be experiencing water shortages. These statistics raise a startling question: is the Earth running out of clean water? Balsher Singh Sidhu takes a closer look at water consumption. (introduction text from TED Talks)
Here you will find three topic-based activities on the issue of water. The fist activity is a quick pre-listening quiz on some of the vocabulary that you will hear in a video. The second button below is for the video. After watching the video you may want to discuss some questions so I’ll find five, hopefully, thought-provoking ones at the end of the post.Click for pre-listening activity Click here for the activity!
- Does your country suffer from water shortage, and if not, do you believe this will be a problem in the coming future?
- Does your government invest in sustainable water usage? If so, how?
- What types of things do you do in order to reduce your water footprint?
- How do different economic sections cope with the issue of global warming and water shortage in your country?
- What parts of the world are the most vulnerable to water scarcity?